Curepipe also known as La Ville-Lumière (The City of Light), is a Mauritian town, located in the Plaines Wilhems District, its eastern part also lying in the Moka District. The town is administered by the Municipal Council of Curepipe. Curepipe lies at a higher elevation, often referred to as the “Central Plateau”. This town named after a similar township in France, grew rapidly after a malaria epidemic in 1867, which forced residents of Port Louis to relocate to safer areas of the highlands. Several import companies, the Carnegie Library, the Royal College of Curepipe and the Mauritius Academy of Language and Literature are located in this town. A paved road connects Curepipe to the motorway connecting Vacoas-Phoenix and the national capital. The Trou aux Cerfs, an extinct crater 85 meters deep and 60 meters wide, overlooks the city.